If you ever wondered how to make a spike stitch in crochet, then you have come to the right place! This is one of the most interesting crochet stitches out there, but is an easy technique that creates an awesome looking texture and adds interest to most any design. If you are ready to learn how to make the spike stitch, then read on down for the full, FREE tutorial!
This stitch looks great with any color combination and it’s a known fact that the use of two colors always makes a project look more catching to the eye!
If you want to learn how to do the spike stitch in crochet, then follow along with my simple tutorial below!
SPIKE STITCH CROCHET TUTORIAL
- Yarn needle
- Two colors of worsted weight yarn (Color A & Color B) Red Heart Soft Yarn in Teal & Red Heart Soft Yarn in Guacamole.
- Crochet hook J 6.00 mm
NOTES: Remember to Chain 1 at the end of every row and turn your project.
SPIKE STITCH: Chain desired amount in Color A and then starting in the second chain from the hook work a row of single crochets.
- Change to Color B. (How to change colors in crochet tutorial HERE. Next, insert hook into the top of the stitch below the current row being worked.
- Yarn Over and draw yarn back through stitch.
- Pull through the work to the height of the current row you are working on.
- Yarn over and pull through the two loops on hook.
- A spike stitch has been created!!!
- Keep on going until you have completed a row! Always make sure to chain 1 and turn at the end of every row.
- To achieve the look below do a row of spike stitches followed by a row of single crochets of the same color for a total of 2 rows. You can change colors now by using this tutorial. Alternate colors every two rows to achieve the classic spike stitch look.
I hope you enjoyed this spike stitch tutorial. Feel free to contact me with any questions, I am more than happy to assist in any way possible!