I love using this mitered square technique because it’s great for beginner crocheters and easy to work up! Read on down for the FREE crochet mitered square tutorial!
I could imagine multiples of these squares all sewn together in a beautiful blanket or just they way they are as a gorgeous washcloth set for a baby.
- 2 different colors of yarn. I used lily sugar’n cream stripes in natural and soft ecru.
- crochet hook size as indicted on yarn. I used a size J 6.00 mm.
- yarn needle
- change colors in crochet – tutorial
- sc3tog = Draw up a loop in each of the next 3 stitches, yarn over, pull through all 4 loops on hook (see picture)
Crochet Mitered Square Pattern
- with first color chain 33
- foundation row: with first color, 1 single crochet in second chain from the hook, 1 single crochet in the next 14 stitches, sc3tog in next 3 chains, 1 single crochet the next 15 stitches, turn.
- row 1: ch 1, (counts as a single crochet) skip first single crochet, 1 single crochet in next 13 stitches, sc3tog in next 3 stitches, 1 single crochet in next 14 single crochets, turn, change colors here if you choose (see tutorial)
- row 2: with new color ch 1, 1 single crochet in the next 12 single crochet, sc3tog in next 3 stitches, 1 single crochet in each of the next 12, 1 single crochet in the top of the turning chain, turn.
- row 3: ch 1, skip first single crochet, 1 single crochet in each of the next 11 single crochets, sc3tog in next 3 stitches, 1 single crochet in each of the next 11 single crochets, 1 single crochet in the top of the turning chain, change colors here to first color.
- row 4-14: repeat row 3 but working 1 fewer stitch before and after the sc3tog in each row, until 3 stitches remain and changing color ever other row.
- row 15: ch 1, sc3tog in next 3 stitches. fasten off and weave in ends throughout.
- I finished mine with a single crochet border of 15 single crochets around each side with 3 single crochets in each corner (optional)
I hope you enjoy making this crochet mitered square!
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on my Facebook page!!