EASY CROCHET SQUARE PATTERN FOR BEGINNERS!
I love using this crochet mitered square pattern because it’s great for beginner crocheters and easy to work up! I could imagine multiples of these squares all sewn together in a beautiful crochet mitered square afghan or just they way they are as a gorgeous washcloth set for a baby. I used cotton yarn for my example but any type of yarn would work with the corresponding hook. Ready to get started? Scroll on down to find the full, free tutorial for this unique Crochet Mitered Square! 🙂
Crochet Mitered Square Information
- 2 different colors of yarn. I used lily sugar’n cream stripes in natural and soft ecru.
- Crochet hook size as indicted on yarn. I used a size J 6.00 mm.
- Yarn needle
- Change colors in crochet – tutorial
- sc3tog = Draw up a loop in each of the next 3 stitches, yarn over, pull through all 4 loops on hook (see picture)
- Written in Standard US terms.
Crochet Mitered Square Pattern
- with first color chain 33
- foundation row: with first color, 1 single crochet in second chain from the hook, 1 single crochet in the next 14 stitches, sc3tog in next 3 chains, 1 single crochet the next 15 stitches, turn.
- row 1: ch 1, (counts as a single crochet) skip first single crochet, 1 single crochet in next 13 stitches, sc3tog in next 3 stitches, 1 single crochet in next 14 single crochets, turn, change colors here if you choose (see tutorial)
- row 2: with new color ch 1, 1 single crochet in the next 12 single crochet, sc3tog in next 3 stitches, 1 single crochet in each of the next 12, 1 single crochet in the top of the turning chain, turn.
- row 3: ch 1, skip first single crochet, 1 single crochet in each of the next 11 single crochets, sc3tog in next 3 stitches, 1 single crochet in each of the next 11 single crochets, 1 single crochet in the top of the turning chain, change colors here to first color.
- row 4-14: repeat row 3 but working 1 fewer stitch before and after the sc3tog in each row, until 3 stitches remain and changing color ever other row.
- row 15: ch 1, sc3tog in next 3 stitches. fasten off and weave in ends throughout.
- I finished mine with a single crochet border of 15 single crochets around each side with 3 single crochets in each corner (optional)
WANT MORE FREE CROCHET PATTERNS?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me on my Facebook page!!