The crochet primrose stitch is a relatively easy stitch to learn and perfect for beginners! It creates an interesting shell look and makes any project a little more appealing to the eye. It looks great in most any crochet project and looks even more amazing when used to make a blanket. Have fun using this primrose stitch pattern to create! 🙂
I decided to do my tutorial with worsted weight yarn from Hobby Lobby and a size J crochet hook, but you can easily use any yarn weight and the corresponding hook size for the same results. I would recommend Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice or Red Heart Super Savers as good substitutes. Either one is a great alternative to mimic the results of this stitch as shown.
HOW TO CROCHET THE PRIMROSE STITCH
Enough chatting… Are you ready to learn this fun stitch? Scroll on down to find the full, FREE primrose stitch pattern with pictures!
PRIMROSE STITCH CROCHET PATTERN
- ch = chain
- sc = single crochet
- hdc = half double crochet
- dc = double crochet
- A crochet hook corresponding to the size yarn you are using
- Yarn needle
- Any type of yarn (I used a worsted weight 4 yarn for this example
- To change sizes chain a multiple of 3 then add 2 to whatever length you have chosen.
Foundation Row: Ch a multiple of 3 plus 2 then 1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc in 3rd chain from hook, * skip next 2 chs, 1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc in next ch, repeat from * across, ending with 1 hdc in last ch, turn.
Row 1: ch 3, * 3 dc in next ch 2 space (shell), repeat from * across, ending with 1 dc in top of turning ch, turn.
Row 2: ch 2, * 1 sc, ch 2, 1 sc in 2nd dc of next shell, repeat from * across, ending with 1 hdc in top of turning chain, turn.
Finishing: Repeat rows 1 & 2 to achieve the primrose pattern.
HOW TO MAKE DIFFERENT SIZES
I have had many emails and questions on what size starting chains should be used to make blankets. Here is a guide on just that from my crochet / knit friend Mama in a Stitch. Find it “here“. That is all there is to it and just look how great it turned out! Now you are ready to crochet up a great primrose stitch blanket in no time at all!
SHARE WITH ME!
I hope you enjoyed this crochet tutorial! If you do make any crochet projects with this stitch please post on Instagram with the hash tag #rescuedpawdesigns so I can see your creations! Want more tutorials just like this? Check out our Spike Stitch tutorial and Sand Stitch tutorial so you can add to your crochet stitch library!
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
You may also like…
- Easy Crochet Hat Patterns for Beginners
- 5 Free Quick and Easy Crochet Scarf Patterns
- 7 Crochet Blankets that Use Bulky Yarn
- Crochet Washcloths that Make Great Last Minute Gifts
- Free Yarn Christmas Tree Printable
- Protected: Yarn Tree Coloring Page Printable
- Willow Chair Crochet Throw Blanket Pattern
- Crochet a Headband / Ear Warmer Pattern in Any Size