It’s finally that time of year again when we all need to pull out our hat crochet patterns! If you are in need of a winter gear makeover look no further than the Andy Crochet Hat pattern! Read on down to find this easy crochet hat pattern and get started today!
To make this simple crochet hat I used less than one skein of Lion Brand Yarn Vanna’s choice yarn and finished it off with two coconut shell buttons.
Pair it up!
I am getting a lot of messages about gauge. A guide to gauge can be found “here“. If you are having any problems with gauge with the recommend crochet hook size I would suggest sizing up a crochet hook or two to try to reach the correct gauge. 🙂 And please remember if you are using a different yarn weight, even a different yarn with the suggested weight outcome will vary. This pattern is meant to be a guide. Please be kind with your comments to me.
Let’s Get Started!
If you are ready to make this design, then read on down for the full, FREE Andy Crochet Hat Pattern!
Happy Crocheting! 🙂
Andy Crochet Hat
- Finished Size: One size fits most Teen – Adult Woman: approx 19″ circumference (stretches very easily to 22″) & 9″ length
- Gauge is very important for proper fit. Please take the time to make sure your gauge is correct.
- Gauge for the main hat: 6 sts = 2″
- Gauge for the ribbing: Each is row is 2.75″ wide &.5″ high
- Click here to learn why gauge is so important.
- 1 skein of Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Yarn in Linen or any worsted weight yarn (4) Vanna’s Choice Yarn.
- yarn needle
- crochet hook size J 6 mm
- 2 one inch coconut shell buttons.
- sl st = slip stitch
- ch = chain
- st = stitch
- hdc = half double crochet
- hdc2tog = half double crochet 2 together
- bl hdc = half double crochet in the back loop
- The 3rd loop is the loop behind the main V that is formed with a half double crochet stitch. We will be working part of the hat in that stitch.
- Size up by using a crochet hook size bigger than suggested.
The Pattern – Add to Ravelry
Make sure to follow the correct gauge listed above or the hat will end up to small or to big.
Part 1: (this will form the ribbing on the hat)
- Row 1: ch 9
- Row 2: starting in the 2nd ch from the hook bl hdc, bl hdc across row in each st, turn. (8)
- Row 3: ch 1, bl hdc, bl hdc across row in each st, turn. (8)
- Row 4-36: repeat row 3 (8)
- Hold together two short ends & do 8 sl st’s evenly together across to form a circle. It should measure 19″ inches at this point
Part 2: (main part of hat)
Round 1: ch 1, and working along top of circle ribbing horizontally hdc on top of the last row you just worked, hdc on the top of every row across for a total of 37 hdc, sl st to top of first hdc. (37)
Round 2: ch 1, in first st, hdc in the 3rd loop , do a 3rd loop hdc in every st around, sl st to the top of the first hdc. (37)
Round 3: ch 1, hdc, hdc in every st around, sl st to the top of the first hdc. (37)
Round 4: repeat round 2 (37)
Round 5: repeat round 3 (37)
Round 6: repeat round 2 (37)
Round 7: repeat round 3 (37)
Round 8: repeat round 2 (37)
Round 9: hdc2tog, * hdc 1 time in next 3 sts, hdc2tog, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first hdc. (29)
Round 10: repeat round 2 (29)
Round 11: hdc2tog, *hdc 1 time in next 3 sts, hdc2tog, hdc 1 time in next 4 sts, hdc2tog, repeat from * around, ending with 3 hdc’s & a hdc2tog, sl st to top of first hdc. (23)
Round 12: repeat round 2. (23)
Round 13: hdc2tog, *hdc 1 time in next 3 sts, hdc2tog, hdc in next 2 sts, hdc2tog, repeat from * around, end with 3 sts, sl st to top of first hdc (18)
Leave a 15″ piece of yarn and fasten off, attach yarn needle to yarn, weave through the last round of st’s, pull yarn tail tightly to close top the top of the hat. Fasten off securely, weave in loose ends throughout the hat with yarn needle.
Securely attach buttons to bottom ribbing of hat with extra yarn. (optional)
Thanks for stopping by!
I hope you enjoyed the Andy crochet hat pattern and if you have any questions, feel free to ask me anytime! I would love to see your creations when you are done on Instagram using the hashtag #andyhat or #rescuedpawdesigns.
You may also like my Messy Bun hat Crochet Pattern too!
SELLING: You may sell items made from patterns on Rescued Paw Designs unless otherwise stated. If you choose to sell items made from this pattern, please link back to me at www.rescuedpawdesigns.com for credit. Please do not use my pictures to sell your items.
TRANSLATIONS: Please do not post a translation of my pattern(s) anywhere. If you would like to help make a translation I would be happy to publish it on RPD with a link and full credit to your blog. For further questions, please email [email protected]
PLEASE DO NOT COPY, SHARE (a link is OK), ADJUST OR RESELL MY PATTERNS
Thank you for respecting my work.