Now this post has nothing to do with yarn or crochet! Not even close! But I wanted to share my obsession with coupons with you today and teach you how to coupon!
HOW TO COUPON
- I have been a coupon queen since 2005.
- I refuse to pay retail for anything if I can help it
- I find it thrilling to get things for free and cheap
- I love bragging to my husband and anyone else that will listen about all the awesome stuff I find
It all started when I was visiting a friend of my moms and she was cutting out what seemed like 100’s of coupon inserts from the newspaper..I honestly thought she was crazy! I was looking at her sitting on the floor surrounded by piles of paper… what else was there to think really… crazy lady…. !!! Well, as soon as she explained to me how she gets her coupons and matches them up with the deals I was hooked!! She handed me coupons for that week’s ad at our local grocery store , told me what to buy and off I went! I never looked back and haven’t stopped! I have saved us so much money in the last 9 years and I honestly think when we had our daughter in 2006 that we would not have been able to make it financially without my coupon obsession.
I have learned so much and hope I can make it easier for anyone who wants to take the plunge into the world of coupons by sharing my tips!
- Gather newspaper insert coupons (ask friends, co-workers or neighbors) & use Coupons.com and print coupons!
- Cut out your coupons! Easy enough, right… ? 🙂
- ORGANIZE ORGANIZE ORGANIZE!! Buy or make a coupon organizer (I use a 3 ring zipper binder with baseball card sleeves) This really is the most important step! If you don’t organize you will drive yourself crazy when you try to find coupons you need!! I have organized my coupons many different ways over the past 9 years and will share two of my most recent methods. There is nothing wrong with either one if it works for you then use it!
- Match up store ads with your coupons. Look at each ad carefully and see what’s on sale and compare to your coupons.
Method 1: sort by types of Items
- Cold Medicine: every coupon you cut out that has to do with “cold medicine” (doesn’t matter which brand) store them in your coupon organizer together!
- Dog Treats: cut and keep every coupon that has to do with “dog treats” together!!
Method 2: sort by areas of a grocery store
- Freezer Items: Cut and store all items that would be found in the freezer together in this section.
- Pet: Store anything and everything that has to do with pets in this section!
- I use Ultra Pro 9-Pocket Trading Card Pages to store my coupons in my binder. You need strong sleeves because you will be putting coupons in and out of these and you need them to last!! So please don’t use cheap sleeves!
- I also would use a 2 or 3 inch binder like the Case-it Large Capacity 3-Inch Binder with a zipper so you can secure any coupons that may fall out!!
Here, take a look at mine super fancy right… 😉
Categories I use to store my coupons
- Salty Snacks
- Granola Bars/Fruit Snacks
- PB & J
- Prepared Sides & Rice
- Condiments/Salad Dressing
- Reynolds Ziploc
- Paper Products
- Surface Cleaners
- Dish Washing
- Air Fresheners/Candles
- Cold/Allergy Medicine
- First Aid
- Oral Care
- Soap & Body Wash
- Hair Care
- Shaving & Deodorant
- Feminine Hygiene
- Grocery Store Coupons
- Walgreen’s Coupons
- Target Coupons
(list courtesy of thekrazycouponlady)
I hope this post was helpful for everybody and next time you are out shopping I expect you all to save some money since you know now how to coupon!! 🙂
Until next time…