Are you looking for a crochet bag to replace plastic bags? Make this crochet market bag today with the free pattern below to take to the store, farmers market and wherever you need to go.
If you enjoy this bag, be sure to check out the Milo Tote! It’s also a free pattern which I think you’d enjoy.
I am so excited for you to try this simple pattern and not to mention eco-friendly design.
Crochet Market Bag Pattern
This free crochet tote bag pattern is fun to make and makes an excellent accessory for the beach! Just think, no sand-filled bags! This market tote is also suitable for a trip to a farmers market or the grocery store.
Keep on scrolling to find the free crochet market bag pattern and get started today!
It Can be a Crochet Beach Bag Too!
Tote bags are always fun to make, and our family always seems to get a ton of use from them. I also designed the Milo tote, which is also a great one to take to the shore too!
I did finish this tote earlier in the month just in time for my daughter to tote her books back and forth to the beach! And It worked perfectly! I was thrilled when the sand fell out through the bottom of the market tote bag, which meant less mess in my truck and beach house!
The Yarn That Is Perfect for This Crochet Tote Bag!
If you wish you could quickly line this tote with fabric to make it more useful for smaller items that you may want to carry. And since the design calls for cotton yarn, you can throw it in the wash too!
I used Lily’s Sugar N Cream Yarn, but any cotton (4) yarn will work! Live wild and make one of each lined and unlined! 🙂
See the yarn below to pick your favorite colors!
Ready to Get Started?
Now that we know all that is needed to crochet his project, it’s time to get started! If you are ready to make this simple tote, then scroll on down to find the full free crochet bag tutorial!
Happy Crochet Bag Making!
Crochet Bag Pattern
Skill Level: Intermediate
Ch = chain
Sc = single crochet
Dc = double crochet
Sl St = slip stitch
sk = skip
The finished size is approximately 12 wide X 15″ length (without handles) but will stretch since cotton is used.
Written in Standard US Terms
If you wish to reduce the stretching of this bag I recommend lining it, there are some great tutorials on how to line crochet bags but my favorite is from Bluprint!
Check out the bag lining tutorial here.
You MAY sell items made from the Market Tote Bag Pattern. If you choose to sell items made from any of my patterns, please link back to me at Rescued Paw Designs for credit. Do not use my photos to sell any items. Thank you for respecting my work.
The Crochet Bag Pattern Steps
- Round 1: Starting with Ecru Ch 3, 10 Dc In 3rd ch from hook, sl at to first Dc. (10)
- Round 2: Ch 3, in first st Dc, Ch 1, * Dc, ch 1 rep around from * , sl st to first Dc. (chains count as a st) (20)
- Round 3: Ch 3 , Dc, 2 Dc in Ch 1 space, * Dc on top of Dc from previous round, 2 Dc in ch 1 space, repeat around from * , sl st to first Dc. (30)
- Round 4: Ch 3, Dc, ch 1, * Dc, ch 1 rep around from * , sl st to first Dc. (60)
- Round 5: Ch 3, *Dc, 1 dc in ch 1 space, Dc, 2 dc in ch 1 space, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first Dc. (75)
(Round 5 example)
- Round 6: Ch 3, * Ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, repeat from * around, ending with a ch 1 and sk st, sl st to top of first ch 1, (76)
- Round 7: Ch 3, 2 dc in every ch 1 space around, sl st to first Dc (76)
- Round 8: Ch 3, * Ch 1, sk 1 st, dc in next st, repeat from * around, sl st to top of first ch 1, (76)
- Round 9: Repeat round 7 (76)
- Round 10: Repeat round 8 (76)
- Round 11: Repeat round 7 (76)
- Round 12: Repeat round 8 (76)
- Round 13: Repeat round 7 (76)
- Round 14: Repeat round 8 (76)
- Round 15: Repeat round 7 (76)
- Round 16: Repeat round 8 (76)
- Round 17: Repeat round 7 (76)
- Round 18: Repeat round 8 (76)
- Round 19: Change color to Jute, ch 1, *2 sc in ch 1 space, repeat from * around (76)
- Round 20: ch 1, sc in every st, sl st to the top of the first st (76)
- Round 21: Repeat round 20(76)
- Round 22: Repeat round 20 (76)
- Round 23: Repeat round 20 (76)
Be sure to make 2 handles. Each handle is approximately 24″ in length (but will stretch).
Row 1: Ch 6, sc in 2nd ch from hook and every ch across, turn (5)
Row 2: Ch 1, sc in every ch across (5)
Row 3-60: Repeat row 2 (5)
Attach handles on inside of bag with yarn by using yarn needle and sewing an square and X to make secure (see picture)
To finish your tote weave in the loose ends throughout the bag with a yarn needle.
You are done!
I hope you enjoyed this Market Tote Bag Crochet Pattern! It would really make the perfect crochet summer bag or even crochet grocery bag!
Want more patterns similar to this? Try some of our favorite free crochet patterns below!
- Modern Baby Ripple Blanket Pattern
- Rainbow Cluster Blanket Crochet Pattern
- Beach Glass Clutch Crochet Pattern
- Plant Holder Crochet Pattern
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask! I am more than happy to assist in any way possible.
Check Out The Maker Shop!
Don’t forget to stop over and check out my new apparel & accessories shop just for makers “Yarn Mamas.“